Bedding luxury - why cotton bedding is so special
Cotton bedding has a whole suite of different qualities that make it special. Perhaps one of the most special things about cotton as a fabric for luxury bedding is that it is understated. As a traditional material, readily available and used in high volume all over the world it is understandable not to consider cotton as special. But it's wide and varied uses are indeed the very reasons why cotton is unique.
So, what are the qualities that make cotton so special and where is the best place to buy cotton bed linen online?
We've put together a quick guide to reveal all. Have a read:
What is unique about cotton bedding?
First of all, let's have a look at why luxury bedding sets are made from cotton:
- Its durable and therefore lasts longer. This means that in the long-term, buying cotton bedding sheets means you can save money, as you will not need to replace them as often as other alternatives.
- Its comfortable on your skin. Cotton is special because it provides a smoothness and crisp feel next to your skin, ideal for when you are ready to hit the hay after a long day. In particular, if you have allergies, cotton is a great fabric to sleep beside as it is hypoallergenic and less likely to cause itchy irritations throughout the night.
- There's less maintenance with cotton sheets. They are machine washable at a 30-40 degree temperature and they do not need to be ironed to look good on your bed. They can also be tumbled dried (tip: remove when slightly damp and dry flat so it can be stored neatly or put on your bed straight away).
- Cotton is breathable, meaning it has a unique capability of adjusting as your body changes temperature through the night. It absorbs body heat and therefore keeps you cool as you sleep. Polyester and other synthetic materials are different as they keep in the heat and you are more likely to become too hot and wake up more regularly as a result.
- It's flexible in terms of design. Cotton can be used to look incredible on modern bedding as well as more traditional bedding designs. Fashions in bedding design may come and go but cotton has remained the fabric of choice for all styles through the years and continues to do so. So, whether it's designer bedding you're after or you want to achieve a more conventional impression in a room, then cotton is your optimum material.
At Dusk, we have a full variety of cotton bedding collections and luxury bedding sets. If you are looking for a modern appeal, then the Mayfair bed linen collection is ideal. It is made from 400 thread count cotton sateen* and has straight stitched cord edging on all the pillow and duvet cover borders. The collection is available in all sizes and with the stitching in a range of colours, including white, grey, pink, navy blue and light blue.
*Cotton sateen sheets offer a sheen finish because of the way in which they are threaded, perfect if you want to add a subtle shine to your room.