Monthly Archives: May 2019
Cotton bedding has a whole suite of different qualities that make it special. Perhaps one of the most special things about cotton as a fabric for luxury bedding is that it is understated. As a traditional material, readily available and used in high volume all over the world it is understandable not to consider cotton as a ‘special’. But it’s wide and varied uses are indeed the very reasons why cotton is unique.
So, what are the qualities that make cotton so special and where is the best place to buy cotton bed linen online?
We’ve put together a quick guide to reveal all. Have a read…
What is unique about cotton bedding?
First of all, let’s have a look at why luxury bedding sets are made from cotton:
- Its durable and therefore lasts longer. This means that in the long-term, buying cotton bedding sheets means you can save money, as you will not need to replace them as often as other alternatives.
- Its comfortable on your skin. Cotton is special because it provides a smoothness and crisp feel next to your skin, ideal for when you are ready to hit the hay after a long day. In particular, if you have allergies, cotton is a great fabric to sleep beside as it is hypoallergenic and less likely to cause itchy irritations throughout the night.
- There’s less maintenance with cotton sheets. They are machine washable at a 30-40 degree temperature and they do not need to be ironed to look good on your bed. They can also be tumbled dried (tip: remove when slightly damp and dry flat so it can be stored neatly or put on your bed straight away).
- Cotton is breathable, meaning it has a unique capability of adjusting as your body changes temperature through the night. It absorbs body heat and therefore keeps you cool as you sleep. Polyester and other synthetic materials are different as they keep in the heat and you are more likely to become too hot and wake up more regularly as a result.
- It’s flexible in terms of design. Cotton can be used to look incredible on modern bedding as well as more traditional bedding designs. Fashions in bedding design may come and go but cotton has remained the fabric of choice for all styles through the years and continues to do so. So, whether it’s designer bedding you’re after or you want to achieve a more conventional impression in a room, then cotton is your optimum material.
At Dusk, we have a full variety of cotton bedding collections and luxury bedding sets. If you are looking for a modern appeal, then the Mayfair bed linen collection is ideal. It is made from 400 thread count cotton sateen* and has straight stitched cord edging on all the pillow and duvet cover borders. The collection is available in all sizes and with the stitching in a range of colours, including white, grey, pink, navy blue and light blue.
*Cotton sateen sheets offer a sheen finish because of the way in which they are threaded, perfect if you want to add a subtle shine to your room.
The simple towel.
Sitting all alone in your bathroom, largely forgotten and sometimes only remembered when it is not there anymore because it has been unceremoniously dumped in the laundry basket.
But don’t feel sorry for the humble towel, although it may not seem like every desert islander’s luxury or essential item, it is indeed luxurious and essential, as least the ones at Dusk are.
Made from 100% quality cotton our towels are quick to dry, super absorbent and faultlessly fluffy – but how?
It’s all in the twist
If you are after the softest, most plushest of fabrics for getting dry and warm quickly after a bath or shower, towels made using zero twist technology will certainly fit the bill. In the twist process, yarns for the towel are twisted so that extra strength is provided, the heavier the twist, the stronger the towel. The larger surface area which is created in the towel, thanks to this process, creates greater absorbency and softness.
Conversely, less quality fabrics have to be spun many times to achieve the same quality. Dusk towels do not need to be twisted during production because they are made from long, high quality staple cotton. Remember that most towels are made from cotton, but some cotton towels are better quality than others. Better in the sense of softness, absorbency and durability levels which are higher in the thicker towels made with zero twist technology.
Have a look at our ribbed towels, the Monocao collection for a stylish addition to your bathroom or the Antibes collection with striking border feature. All our towels are made from zero twist technology but they each offer a different style for your bathroom.
And remember, when it comes to good quality, luxury towels, the twist is, there is no twist…
Luxury bedding plays a central role in making a home beautiful. It forms part of the finishing touches that although may seem small, actually make a huge, overall visual impact and first impression. You may have beautiful bedroom furniture but if your bedding design is below par then its features will not stand out. Luxury bedding is necessary to be warm and comfortable throughout the night, but it is also an important accessory that complements the rest of your bedroom.
Bedding collections, like all other soft furnishings are a matter of choice. Modern bedding and more traditional bedding sets are available at DUSK. Our range of white bedding collections are particular favourites for those wanting to create a luxurious tone to their bedroom. The full range covers every size, from single bed linen to king size duvets.
DUSK’s Venice bedding collection is one of the most popular choices for those looking to recreate the boutique hotel look in their own homes. Made with cotton sateen weave, the silky sheen is soft to the touch and creates an indulgent and decadent finish to look at.
Alternatively, there is the Milano bedding set in either grey or natural colours, both adding a subtle edge of colour. The cotton percale material gives a fresh and clean finish and the oxford border’s clean lines complement the clean finish of this beautiful bedding set.
Do I need a luxury bedding pillow?
The simple answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Not only it is important to keep your head and neck supported and comfortable throughout the night, it is also important that your pillow is in keeping with the luxury and sophistication you have created in your bedroom.
The role of throws…
…and cushions. Luxury cushions and throws are a staple ingredient when it comes to creating and maintaining a beautiful home. Our unique range of luxury throws and cushions look simply stunning on their own or as a layer of luxury within an already deluxe bedding set. DUSK’s luxury faux fur is a firm favourite for those looking to add warmth and texture to their bedding. The impactful design with short and soft pile creates an instant statement in any room. The St Ives light grey knitted throw creates a design statement of a different kind, with its soft chucky knit finish and pastel colour, its subtly charming yet modest and elegant, all rolled into one.
Mattress and pillow protection may not seem like your usual luxury bedding items but if you want to maintain a luxury feel to your bedroom then a mattress protector and pillow protectors are important. DUSK’s mattress protectors are made from 100% cotton which means that as well as protecting, they are also keeping you cool and fresh in the summer months. Similarly, our pillow protectors keep luxury locked in with 100% quilted cotton for maximum head support and comfort throughout the night.
So, whether it is designer bedding, stylish cushions, luxurious throws or a few practical solutions to maintaining the quality of your bedroom, DUSK has the perfect array of products to make your complete luxury bedroom package.